There are many ways to reduce your risks of breaching HIPAA guidelines, and the Office of Civil Rights provides many resources to help you. You can browse their HIPAA resources here.
Here are some important tips you should consider:
The Seven Fundamental Elements of an Effective Compliance Program identified by OIG
- Implementing written policies, procedures and standards of conduct.
- Designating a compliance officer and compliance committee.
- Conducting effective training and education.
- Developing effective lines of communication.
- Conducting internal monitoring and auditing.
- Enforcing standards through well-publicized disciplinary guidelines.
- Responding promptly to detected offenses and undertaking corrective action.
OIG IDENTIFIES Five Practical Tips for Creating A Culture of Compliance
- Make compliance plans a priority now.
- Know your fraud and abuse risk areas.
- Manage your financial relationships.
- Just because your competitor is doing something doesn’t mean you can or should. Call 1-800-HHS-TIPS to report suspect practices.
- When in doubt, ask for help.